Monday, August 29, 2005

Could it Get Any Worse Than This?

My sister has lead a rough life, mostly of her own choosing. Between drugs, alcohol, skipping out of states where there are felony warrants for her arrest, leaving her husband for a Frenchman then being shocked and hurt when she finds out he has other girlfriends, you name it, she's done it and suffered for it.

Largely, I've looked at her and said, "I don't want those results, so I better not do that" or "I don't want to put my parents through that" and made wiser choices. At the same time, I've always loved her unconditionally and she's loved me back. Unless she's pushing some New Age Wiccan Yoga Buddhist Crystal Aroma cult of the month on me, I'm very tolerant of whatever she's telling.

Ah, I'm not accepting of homosexuality either. She doesn't push that on me either any more. Our last 'discussion' she pointed out that it was OK since my body could function that way. My response was something along the lines of "I really doubt that there is guy out there I could get hard for and unless you are saying that rape is acceptable, there is no way I'm going to be involved in queer sex and I'm capable of killing people. Does that make murder OK?" Nah, she does't push that on me anymore either.

I understand that Christianity is a voluntary commitment and unless someone volunteers, of their own free, will to live as Christ, you have no grounds to hold them to His standard. My sister has yet to volunteer to take up His cross. She is looking for something to make her whole and take away her pain as long as it is not Christ.

I think that she is going to discover Sherlock Holmes maxim on her own. The one that goes "When you have eliminated the possible, whatever remains, however improbable,
must be the truth." and at this time say yes to Christ because she will have eliminated all the probably solutions the world offers and only the Truth, in all His glory, will remain for her.

Till that time comes, she'll be eliminating the probable.

Her new boyfriend runs a foundation to help the addicted, alcohol and drugs, find help. His niche is people without insurance and people in prison. One of his bylines is that the free Anonomous programs have a better success rate than the costly programs. Here's a program that is free and has a high success rate or would you rather pay money to help overcome your addiction? What, your insurance doesn't cover it, that's OK, this one is free.

He is working to make people aware that there are viable free options for them.

His ties to prison is he is a convicted felon. Prison is bad. Prison on drugs is worse.

So my sister is going out with an ex-con recovering addict and my mom's biggest concern is that he is Catholic. My mom would say that Bane is mild in his views on the Catholic church.

The best friend I've made since grade school is a saved Catholic. He's one of the two best men and people I've ever known and I've known him for about 13 years. My mom's biggest concern then was that I'd start dating one of his Catholic friends sisters. I never understood why she never considered that I'd date his sister.

It wouldn't surprise me if God, in His Mysterious Sense of Humor Ways, showed my sister the Truth, the Light, and the Way through a Catholic.