Friday, March 17, 2006

ROT

The old Rule of Thumb is that for every rat you see, there are 10 you don't. I figure that that applies here.

This is the second report like this that I've read recently.

I have to wonder, how hard is it to case a building and not look suspicious? Stick a camcorder in a man's hand and if he's with a bunch of men, they are terrorist suspects, but if he's smiling and with a woman, they're tourists. Maybe I'm a suspicious bastard, but if they stick out like that, they either have to be trying to or are the "B" team (which makes you wonder where the "A" team(s) is).

Give me a woman, pretty and joyful in appearance that appears to be out on vacation and no one would even look at me. I'd have a camcorder and a GPS with an acceptable vertal error (most are accurate in the horizontal but sloppy in the vertical) and I'd map out the target.

Need more accuracy? There are ways, but that is not the subject of this posting.

Back to the ROT that you see 10% of the problem when you are not looking for it.

Can I assume that I see 10% of the articles, nation wide, on suspicious activity? Do 10% of the reports of suspicious activity get reported? Do 10% of the suspicious activities get noticed?

If I see two reports, then there were probably 2,000 suspicious activities that generated them. I guess we now know where the "A" teams are.