Thursday, March 09, 2006

Numberth

Give me a crime show and I'll watch it, provided I have the time and the show is good. The old Law & Order was worthy of my time, but not their new stuff. I'll watch any CSI that I get a chance to, so once every two months I'll watch one 'live' on tv. The only one I'll tape is the Vegas one.

I'll also tape Numbers. It's geeky enough to appeal to me. I like the way Network Analysis is applied to solving a crime with the efficiency that Geordie reconfigures the Enterprises Phasers to be in tune with a harmonic weakness that 'the life threatening menace' has (this tells me that the authors have never tried anything as technical as putting a new video cards in their PC (a 3 minute task, right?) or even read Dilbert). Heck, technology is easy to apply. Either that or I just find it easy to unplug that little reality checking portion of my brain for an hour (38 minutes if I tape it and fast forward throught the ads).

I've also caught a number of math errors on the show. The script writers don't understand probability. I've seen other errors and the reality checker isn't unplugged for these, instead I collect them like little trophies to discuss Monday with other geeks.

The one constant peeve that I have with the show, the one thing that I can't get past is the relationship between the two brothers. They bicker like women.

I've never know brothers to bicker. They fight. I fought with my brother. My friends fought with their brothers. I fought with their brothers.

Catching a math mistake is fun. Watching a problem get solved is entertaining. Watching men bicker? I can't take it.

Women bicker. I wonder if women write the scripts for Numbers. Either that or gays bicker and they write the scripts. I don't even want to think about it. I'll just pretend that it's women writing the scripts and won't let my son watch a glimpse of it, lest he think one of them a role model.