Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Olympic Review

First let me say that I am relieved that there was no terrorism during the event. This supports my belief that the "War on Terror" has driven the terrorists deep underground.

I rooted for the underpriveledged Croation skiers competing against well funded egos. I was thrilled to see two local girls medal. The coverage of the biathalon was disapointing but then how can I expect the media to portray anything with guns as healty, enjoyable, or safe (and I had to laugh at the 'sportscaster' who marvelled at shooting at a target 50m away).

There were lessons to be learned when we sat there and saw how reality stripped away the hype and egos and left the winners.

I never liked Anton Ohno, that is till he ruled the 500m. I don't know if I like him now, but I'm happy for him. He's proven himself as a winner. Everyone likes a winner, but beyond that, he never gave up. That I respect.

The thing that struck me as weird was the logo. The one that looked like this.

Everytime I saw it, I was reminded of the twisted remains of the World Trade Center.



The similarities unnerved me.