Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Termination Dust

That's what they call the first snow on the mountains. Termination dust. It signals the end of summer and since we don't really have a fall (just a rainy season some call September), the start of winter.

This blog also had some termination dust on it. One day I just knew it was done. Not over, but it's first wind of momentum had run out and it would take a commitment from me to push it forward. At least for now.

I know that once past this lull, it'll run for a while on its own steam.

Then I hear our Fearless Leader calling for us to drive less and I'm glad that I have a place to vent.

What am I supposed to do? Rent one of the cathouses on Spenard so I can have a shorter drive to work? That would cut a 7 mile drive down to walking distance. Between work and shopping, there isn't to much joyriding that I, or my family, do.

I expect that alot of people are in this boat. We drive where we need to. Our weekly driving is kind of a fixed number.

Just to show the foolishness of the gov't, when they forced emissions controls upon us, they measured them by emissions produced per gallon consumed not miles driven. The result of this is that since we have our mileage laid out for us, we drove it regardless of the number of gallons it took and even though our emissions were less per gallon, since it took us more gas due to lowered mileage we burn more gas and produced roughly the same emissions at first. Millions were spent for negligble gains.

The emissions controls are better now, and with some two-stroke (yes, two-stroke) technologies, can get the best power output and lowest emissions to date.

Then I see that mouthpiece O'Reilly yakking about the big corporations keeping us dependant on oil by depriving us of fuelcells. Yea, right.

Everyone is working on fuelcells and if and when they become viable, we'll be using them. And guess what? There will be big evil corporations making money and providing jobs and paying taxes. Will O'Reilly lament about this as well?

As for Hydrogen, unless you are scooping up Hydrogen in galactic gas giants with spacecraft designed to do this, I don't know how the mythical hydrogen fuel cell will get the fuel to solve the energy crisis. Of course we could build some nuclear power plants to generate the electricity to generate the clean hydrogen.

Nah, this blog is alive and well, I just need to make the time to blog.