Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Libtards, No the other Libtards

I went to the library today to get a book. I have to fly to Barrow tomorrow and went looking for Havana, by Stephen Hunter. It was out, and I couldn't find an Andy McNabb book that I hadn't read so I went with a classic: Omerta, by Mario Puzo. I'm in the mood for some gritty killing in the street.

From the parking lot I can see 3 people with petition clipboards. They've formed a gauntlet at the base of the stairs to the main front door. The pablum of liberals that frequent libraries, especially during the day when most conservatives are hard at work, had set their minds in a vulnerable lull. I had time to play with them.

An 18(?) old, short, Opie Taylor approached me and asked if I'd like to sign a petition to allow the formation of an Alaskan Gaming Comission on the upcoming ballot.

Wide eyes and a slack jaw were his response to "So you don't have a problem with families losing their mortgage money?" His handler rapidly took his place and started talking. At first his words were meaningless but his eyes said it all.

He had the eyes of a true believer. I saw a collage of personas, one had the Totenkopf insignias and smelt of sweat and leather, another had Red Star insignias and stunk of borscht, one was proud of her abortion and reeked of patchoulli, another stood before me. His defining statement was that he "believed that everyone needed the opportunity to make mistakes."

It was here that I excused myself and politely told him that I needed to get a book and excused myself.

The thought "What Would Bane Do?" rolled around my head. The options were all entertaining.

A logical trap sprung to mind inside the library. If I ask him "Should heroin be legalized?" and he answers me, I can either accuse him of being morally bankrupt or a hypocrite.

Upon leaving, I found him to be morally bankrupt, but his response was "As a Libertarian, I believe all drugs should be legalized."

I feel the total dork since I registered as a Libertarian last Spring. Maybe the Constitutional Party is for me. Maybe I shouldn't judge the Libertarians so harshly? Maybe I should. I'm sure TwentyMajor would call them a bunch of cunts and I'd have to agree.

While I agree that the Drug War is poorly fought, I don't think the fundamental concept is flawed, just the prosecution of the war.

His other defining statement was "Once you get over the drug legalization, being a Libertarian is easy."

This is probably true, but so are the statements:
1) Once you get over the killing of babies, being a democrat is easy.
2) Once you get over the [CENSORED], being a homosexual is easy.
3) Once you get over the ovens, being a nazi is easy.
4) Once you get over the gulags, being a communist is easy.

Politically, I have no idea what to do.