Thursday, June 16, 2005

Choice

The otherday I had a black bear cut through my backyard. The .45 is readilly accessable but I'm thinking about keeping something with a lot more firepower readily acessable downstairs.

My two best choices are the Garand or the .375 H&H Magnum. The .375 Magnum delivers an incredible amount of energy with each shot. The energy each delivers can be seen below:
ENERGY (ft-lbs)
Cartridge TypeBulletMuzzle100200300400500
Remington Express168 BTHP Match267823181998171314601239
Remington Express270 SP433735102812222817471361



I can deliver more energy with two shots out of the Garand than I can with one shot from the Magnum. Since the Garand is semi-auto I'm sure I can deliver more than twice the volume of shots from it.

I've shot the Garand competitively and have put thousands of rounds through it. I love it. I know it like a part of my own body. There have been times, after shooting it, that it was hard to put it out of my sight. I am not impartial to it and do not want this impartiality to drive me to make a poor judgement, especially where the safety of my family is concerned.

I'll use the Garand for bear protection.

This Garand was rebuilt by the gentleman who builds all of Springfield Armories National Match M1-A's to National Match standards. Barrel, trigger assembly, and sights are all National Match. Have I mentioned that I love it?

Yes, I only feed reload with the right powder and loads so there is no risk of bending the op-rod.