Thursday, December 15, 2005

Back in the Day...

Long long ago, in a house far far away, when Santa Clause would bring me gifts, I believed in him, of course. The clincher for me was the physical evidence. We would leave him cookies and milk and he'd always eat them. In the morning, there would be proof that he had been there.

The eaten cookies were more convincing to me than the gifts. I kinda knew where the gifts came from, but the cookies were something altogether different.

Now I watch my son, when Santa is presented on tv, and have to supress a grin, lest he begin to suspect the ruse. I can see the wheels turning and the belief fomenting

I am so blessed to be able to share the joy, awe, and wonder of the season with another generation through the intimate relationship of father/son and yet I wonder if [son] is getting the true message of Christmas. Is the big fat jolly red herring distracting him from the True Meaning of Christmas?

He does know the Nativity Story, he'll point out Baby Jesus in the manger. Maybe I worry to much. I am now a parent who'll be leaving out cookies for Santa Dec 24th.