Thursday, November 17, 2005

Who Pays the Dept?

I read this and am dissapointed, to a degree.

I despise the arrogance with which criminals say "I paid my debt to society" and act as if they are owed something for paying it. Am I supposed to be impressed that they served their time? Do they expect a reward? They seem to act as if they do.

I say that as long as the victims of the crime feel a loss, the dept has not been paid. This makes most crimes unreparatalbe and since the criminals don't even pay reparations to the victims, no dept is paid. Just the criminal is punished.

So why am I dissapointed? The loss that Carlie's parents, friends, and neighbors feel will never, ever be made whole and the punishment willnot fit the crime.

I'd like to hold the judge and lawyers who set Joseph Smith free accountable and punish them as well. They do have a significant degree of responsibility in setting a known sex offender free. But that will never happen.

This county has, or at least pretends to have, a system of checks and balances everywhere, except one. Judges and lawyers are in the same boat, they benefit from the laws and they make/interpret the laws with nothing to hold them in check.

The lawyers get rich, the judges wield excessive power, and a child is raped and murdered, a dept to society that will never get paid.

Carlie will be forgotten about by this nation in a few weeks as more children are raped and murdered by violent sex offenders on parole, arraignment, or whatever legal loopholes set them free. Where will it end?