Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Game Review

FPSers, at least for me, seem to have peaked with the original DooM or so I had thought. Delta Force, Ghost Recon, etc are all fun, but don't seem to match the thrill and challenge of the first time.

From the web, I downloaded the FEAR Demo. It was violent and engaging. The animation at the start was good for a little character background and development, but would have been nice to be able to [ESC] past it after that. But what draws me back is the creepy factor.

The game seems to be in the horror genre, but what they did was very subtle. The violence is in your face, but the horrible dark secret hides well although you do see and hear just enough to make your skin crawl.

Also they modelled the characters superfast reflexes is in a way that makes sense. In fact it makes so much sense that I was surprised that I didn't see it coming.

I usually wait a year to buy a game and save $30 or is it that my PC will only run the older games? Nah, I have a screaming PC at home for engineering work that can handle any game out there. I might just buy this one after I finish the one I'm playing now.

Ubi Soft has my respect. Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 showed me that they can make a good FPS. Between that and the price for FarCry I bought it.

I was expecting some tropical paradise turned hellish, something similar to the plots in the Jagged Alliance games. Yes, I have been to Arulco, but I never got a shirt.

The game got going right away, BOOM, lotsa violence. There is no downtime between trying to reach goals and the goals are all immediate. Then the game takes an unexpected turn and things turn sinister. Without warning, I find myself playing a horror game.

I'ts o'dark thirty and I'm playing with the headphones on because everyone else is sleeping, the house is dark, and then something happens that makes me burst out laughing. The game would have been worth it just for that.

Also, the mercenaries are threatening all sorts of death and dismemberment when you are in firefights with them. One of the things they threaten is to "shoot you in the face". I can't help but think of Bane everytime I hear that.