Monday, October 24, 2005

Feminist Dreams

I've seen a target for the artificial uterus set at about 10-15 years.

The jist I seem to get is that this will free women from ever having to 'suffer' pregnancy and enable them to pursue their careers while still having children.

I look at the world through the eyes of a guy, being a guy and all, and maybe my views are dated, but then again, anything that has withstood the test of time, typically is old, tried and true.

I don't see the artificial uterus as freeing women, I see it as making a lot of them obsolete. Of course, the guys who want a traditional family will marry and have children, but the guys who don't want to risk the majority of the next 18 years of their finances will be able to opt for a little genetic splicing and lease a uteromatic for 9 months.

As Vox has pointed out, the dating options for men expand as they get older mature. Seems to me that guys living the world view can have it all, their freedom, no risk of alimonty, kids, and since there will be a big market for nannies, a 19 year old nanny or two living with them.

I wonder if the feminists have considered the law of unintended consequences?