Friday, July 01, 2005

The Difference Between Men and Boys

Vox has blogged about rites of manhood and how American Society, as well as all 'civilized' societies, don't have a clear line of demarcation between boys and men. He has stated, and I agree with him, that there are rites of manhood in America, but they are hidden and optional.

So what is the difference between men and boys?

For Fathers Day, my church handed out a tiny little 50something page book. It was more of a booklet written by John Eldridge. I didn't get around to reading it till last night.

In it, the author states that all boys want to know if they 'have what it takes' and 'are they dangerous? and that they need their dads to answer this.

While I'd like to blog more on this, and may at a later time, I'll say right now that I think the difference between men and boys is this:

When a boy learns that he has what it takes and that he is dangerous, he becomes a man.