Monday, March 16, 2009

I'm Jealous Too

I really wish I could get a million dollar bonus. Really. Maybe a couple. I'd buy more guns, and a few airplanes and then I'd live the Alaskan dream of running my own gold mine. You know, the kind where you end up with a small fortune, provided that you started with a big one.

I'll probably never get one. And I'm a little jealous of those who do, but I don't begrudge them anything. I wouldn't take it from them, even if I had the legal ability to do so (Shh, I'll get back to that in a minute).

Now we have executives at AIG who are getting million dollar bonuses. So? Are they breaking any laws? Or, are they somehow worth it? I suspect that they are those rare individuals who can manage hundreds of millions of dollars and handle the stress. I suspect that they are worth the bonuses and have saved AIG more than they're being paid.

On the radio, I just heard a sound bite of Obama saying that he'd use his full legal powers to address the issue of their bonuses and I wonder, what legal authority does he have to interfere with a legal contract or a private individuals salary? He has no legal power's to do anything about this.

What's he going to do, set salaries and make the law retroactive?