Friday, February 10, 2006

Empowering the Shreiking Harpy

One of the arguments against making the 'foreign wiretapping' by the NSA legal is that the mechanism for a police state is being built. Powers are being established that a shreiking harpy, should she get into the Oval Office, would abuse.

The guy who lead the worship band at the last Michigan church my wife and I attended had taken an ax to his neighbor many years ago. Sounds like a terrible man, doesn’t he? Moments before the attack his sister came home, broken and battered, half dressed. She had just been brutally raped by this neighbor.

Was taking an ax to him legal? Hardly. Was it ethical? Was it moral? Lets debate these two questions over beers in your sauna. Was he protecting his loved ones and do not brothers have a responsibility to protect their sisters? Surely he was and yes they do. Was he a threat to you or me? Not at all.

I think it is the same with the President, he is responding to a threat and honoring his responsibilities. Tapping foreign calls are not a threat to you, me, or our loved ones. I think the enemy should be fought with great vigor on all fronts.

The moot point is does he need to make it legal? If it were still illegal, would it stop the shrieking harpy from tapping the phones of her enemies, both foreign and domestic? I think not. Look what she did with the IRS and the FBI files when she was only the First Lady (really more like the fourteenth).

If I were President, I'd fight the enemy with every means that I believed to be moral, ethical, and within my powers and responsibilities to utilize*. I know that I would step over the law, but only in areas that I felt justified (now I feel like I'm heading out to thin ice >>---> Go see my posting(s) on sin and how it traps you by leading you to believe that you can live with the consequenses of a transgression).

I read what I'm writing and don't know that I fully believe it. I'm just thinking outloud in cyberspace, hoping to find some order and logic in my thoughts. A solid foundation to build an understanding on. Right now, I'm still digging in some shifting sands, but I do believe that the Shreiking Harpy (or any Liberal Democrat, for that manner) will do what they want with all the powers that they can imagine, should they ever be elected.

*This does not mean that I would use nukes (yet).